Today was round 2 of teaching and
it went well! We woke up had breakfast and headed to school. I taught first
today and the kids were sooo unresponsive at first. I said guys why aren’t you
talking. They said, “Madaam it is morning.” I was like okay everybody up. I
said if I let you dance do you promise to talk? And they all started laughing
and said “YES madam!” So I turned on a Kesha song and we all danced together!
They LOVED it! I settled them down and we started our lesson. I taught them
about organic and inorganic waste. I cut six water big water bottles in half
and used those as my beakers. This morning before I left I gathered a leaf, a
napkin, a half of a mango, bread, a coin, and plastic. I taught them that
anything from a plant or animal is organic and will decompose and anything that
is not from a plant or animal is inorganic and will not decompose. Then we went
to the garden of the school and after placing each item in our “beakers” we
filled them up with soil and watered them. I sat them in the window so they
could get sunshine throughout the week and we are going to observe what
happens! I had the class make predictions and on what objects they thought
would decompose and why. After school we came home and had lunch. I took an
hour nap before Swahili. In Swahili class, we learned about verbs and subject
prefixes. We had tea after class and he gave us homework to do tonight! L
We
still have some more sessions to get through this week before we head off to
our sites for the next year (next Wednesday!!). After tea we did a session on
how to teach speaking. This was so cool. She had us pair up, and gave us a
picture that were very similar but had some minor differences. We had to speak
in a different language to figure them out without showing each other the
differences. Abby and I spoke in French and it was very difficult! We only
could find two differences. Another group had to speak in Swahili another group
in Spanish and another group got to speak in English. There were all together
12 differences, the people speaking in Swahili found 1 difference, the people
speaking in Spanish found no differences, and the people speaking in English
found only 7. So it was very difficult. This was supposed to show us how are
students feel when we are teaching because English is not there first language
and it is very hard to put things into words when you are struggling with the
language. We also went over some other activities or games you could do with
your students that are good practice to get them speaking: debates, skits, presentations,
chain sentences, etc. We had dinner after our session and then spent a 2-3
hours lesson planning for the next day. Once I get used to it it shouldn’t take
me that long but I want to try and make my lessons as engaging and fun as
possible and that really is challenging with Chemistry/Biology. I know if I try
to do that every single night I will run myself into the ground. I decided that
I am going to teach about acids and bases tomorrow. Ions/polyatomic ions have
them work problems on the board, etc. So we will see how it goes! La la salama
(good night!).
No comments:
Post a Comment