Thursday, June 26, 2014

Yesterday was day 3 of teaching! I woke up, had breakfast and headed to school to teach about acids and bases. We discussed what makes something an acid, and what makes something a base, cations and anions, and polyatomic ions. Lots of chemistry today! I knew they had learned a little bit about acids so I was interested to see what they could remember. It's so crazy how the students only memorize here, they truly lack critical thinking skills. For example, they could tell me what an ion was, but then if I had them wrote ions of certain compounds they couldn't do it. So we had to go back to the definition and I would say well if you know what an ion is then you should be able to do this problem. You see? So I had to go back and really teach them how to work problems applying there knowledge. I know they learned a lot from this because we did lots of practice problems!! We talked about pH as well and used that as an indicator for our acids and bases. After my lesson we came back to the house and had lunch. Then I had an hour until Swahili class.
In class we learned verbs today! We did one on one drills with teachers at the school where we practiced having conversation with the language we had learned so far. After class, time had gone by so quickly that we had tea and then our second session on listening later that afternoon. That was very interesting! We were encouraged to bring in interesting podcasts students can listen to about health issues and science. They can write about it and create a discussion. After session we had dinner and then it was on to lesson planning. 

I was very nervous about my lesson because I knew I was getting observed tomorrow. The head country director on site with us is coming to evaluate my teaching tomorrow so I want to do a really engaging lesson. I am going to teach on soil composition. We will see how it goes! Wish me luck, I am off to bed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment